Not too long ago, I was a makeup obsessed. I had drawers overflowing with sticky out of date makeup that I was hoarding for years. I worked in Superdrug (a beauty store/pharmacy in the UK) on the make up isle so I was always finding new things I wanted to try and buy, let alone being persuaded by all the Youtubers I followed to purchase anything and everything to make me look better…it became a real problem for my wallet and my self-esteem.
When I discovered minimalism and all the perks that came with only keeping what has value to you, makeup was the first thing I tackled. I remember I had a whole plastic carrier bag filled with nail polish (of which I used about 3 on rotation!) I already knew the items that worked well for me so knowing what I wanted to keep was easy. I emptied all my drawers, gave a way what I could and kept what I used. My attitude to makeup changed; I was no longer buying things hoping it would magically change the way I felt about myself. In fact, buying makeup became such a simple process I would never go out shopping for makeup again. I know the items that work for me and I buy them online when I run out simple. Everything I buy gets used up and never goes out of date beforehand.
I have tried to make the process of getting ready each day as simple as possible; I really dislike spending hours in the bathroom each morning, I would much rather be enjoying a good breakfast and listening to music. For this reason, I have perfected my daytime look where I use:
Bareminerals Original Foundation
Tropic Skincare Blush
Tropic Skincare Brow Pommade
It Cosmetics Superhero Mascara
Honest Beauty Tinted Lip-balm
For my evening look I use the basically the same as above with the addition of:
Tropic Skincare ContourTropic Skincare Highlight
Hula Liquid Eyeliner
Tropic Skincare Lipstick in Nude Blush
I don’t want to wear so much makeup or experiment with loads of different looks because I know what suits me. I don’t have decision fatigue about what lip and eye look I will do, I don’t have breakout from wearing bad quality or expired products and I don’t have to create lots of waste buying loads of different plastic products. I love that most of my products are all in one palette, it makes it so quick to get ready and it’s so easy to pack and travel.
Everyone’s needs and wants are different, keep enough items that is right for you! Maybe you really enjoy having lots of different looks and experimenting with makeup; don’t throw things away you will actually use and love.
How To Declutter your Makeup:
1) Take all your products, from your makeup storage, your purses, your car wherever else they may be hidden away and put them in a pile outside of their usual storage space.
2) Sort the makeup into categories: face (primers, foundations, blush, contour, highlighters, brozers, concealers), eyeliners, brow products, mascaras, eyeshadow and lip products.
3) Throw away anything that is expired (refer to list below of makeup expiry dates)
4) Decide if you will ever use something, is it worth holding onto it just because you feel bad for getting rid of it?
5) Can you give anything away to friends and family?
6) Clean what remains – clean your brushes and wipe makeup off products
7) Find a place for everything, store items by categories
8) And you are done! Celebrate and marvel at how practical and awesome your collection looks. I hope you have less decision fatigue getting ready each day and you save some money!
I store all my makeup and brushes in these containers in my top bathroom drawer.